Wondering how to accomplish sciatica relief while working? Your Florham Park chiropractor, Dr. Rivano, can help.
Sciatic nerve pain is caused by inflammation or compression of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower spine through the buttock, down the back of the leg. Many people find that this pain worsens after sitting at their desk all day. If you are at work and experiencing sciatica pain, here are a few tips from your Florham Park chiropractor for finding sciatica pain relief:
1) Get up from your desk. Take a walk around the office. Sciatic nerve pain is often reduced when walking, while sitting places additional pressure on the spine, exacerbating pain. Many patients find that taking a break from sitting effectively reduces their pain.
2) Make a point to stand. Even if you have a desk job, there are ways to reduce the amount of time you spend sitting. Consider switching to a standing desk, or sitting on an exercise ball rather than in a desk chair. Go on a jog during your lunch break. Remain as physically active during the workday as possible.
3) Stretch. Taking a few moments to stretch periodically while at work can reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve. In particular, stretching your lower back can alleviate sciatica pain. Florham Park chiropractor Dr. Rivano can teach you safe, effective stretches for sciatica relief.
4) Use medication in moderation. Over-the-counter pain medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen may help to relive mild sciatica pain. While long-term use of painkillers is not recommended, it can help you get through the workday when you're suffering from sciatic nerve pain. Of course you need to find a long-term solution like visiting your Florham Park chiropractor.
5) Wear a hot compression pack. Many people find that either ice or hot packs helps to reduce sciatica pain. During the work day, wear a hot compression pack on your lower back.
6) Chiropractic for sciatica relief : Chiropractic adjustments and physical therapy can help to alleviate sciatic nerve pain, and help patients avoid surgery.
Persistent sciatica may not be effectively treatable during the workday. If these measures don't relieve your pain, or your pain lasts long after your shift is over, consider other options such as chiropractic care for your sciatic nerve pain. Florham Park chiropractor Dr. Rivano has treated many patients whose sciatica pain is exacerbated by sitting at a desk all day. For more information about how chiropractic care can provide sciatica relief, contact Rivano Chiropractic Health Center today.